Warp Twine Direction vs Ply Direction

While I was weaving the "satin" band, I considered that the poor result might be due to the warp twining going in the same direction as the ply of the silk, so I tried reversing the direction to improve things. Unfortunately it turned out the warp twining was already going in the reverse direction to the ply, so this did nothing to help things! Later on once I'd given up on the card idling I also tried weaving in both directions.Above is a picture of the four different combinations:
  1. Warp twining opposite to ply twining, card idling
  2. Warp twining same as ply twining, card idling
  3. Warp twining opposite to ply twining, no card idling
  4. Warp twining same as ply twining, no card idling
In retrospect the other one does look best, I think, and the last one definitely the worst.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Anglo-Saxon" Belt

Oseberg Loom

Birka 6