Showing posts from September, 2011


Warp: Dark green silk (fibreholics)
Weft: Dark green silk (devere)
Brocade: Tambour thread (Hedgehog handworks)
Pattern: Taplow Barrow
Cards: 23 pattern + 2x2 border
Width: 1.2cm
Length: 85cm

This is just a quick brocade pattern I did while waiting for some other stuff to come together. The pattern caught my eye when it was executed by opusanglicanum not long ago.  Since them I've also spotted a version by Gina-B which made me want to buy the metal strip she used on the spot.  Unfortunately Benton and Johnson's website is under maintenance so I will just have to be patient.

The pattern is from page 45 of Crowfoot and Hawkes's Early Anglo-Saxon Gold Braids.

I used the tambour thread which I bought after having trouble with the cornering in the Mammen band.  It's definitely more supple- whether it's supple enough I'm not sure yet because the fibreholics silk I used for this warp is about 5x thicker than the devere stuff I used for the Mammen band.  I'll need to …

Mammen cuffs... again!

Warp: Candy silk (devere) and sewing linen
Weft: Candy silk
Brocade: Spun silver (devere) and gilt passing thread (Hedgehog handworks)
Soumak: Red silk (devere)
Pattern: Mammen
Cards: 23 pattern + 2x7 border
Width: 1.5cm
Length: 80cm

I think this pattern is going to be my nemesis. As you may recall, I have already woven it twice, after New Zealand Post managed to lose it the first time. At the time, pretty much all my information on the band came from Hansen. However, since then I came across Lise Ræder Knudsen's article Brocaded Tablet-Woven Bands: Same Appearance, Different Weaving Technique in NESAT VII, which talks about this band and also some others in a similar style. She has a quite different idea about how the band is constructed:

Hansen says that all cards are threaded with silk and the band is executed with "card idling"- ie turn the odd-numbered cards in one pass and the even-numbered ones in the next. Knudsen says that all 4 holes were threaded, but th…